Tuesday, August 23, 2011

noticing trends

As I read my favorite blogs, check out my favorite online shops and peruse through my beloved catalogs....here are a few trends I've been noticing. 

BIRDS - screenprinted on wood, canvas and pillows (just like the one below featured on Etsy), ....porcelain, glass, wood....in cages, out of cages....in nests or on a perch, they seem to everywhere.  Most are simple silhouettes.  I found myself falling in love with a few things and got some great ideas for some decorations of my own. 

bird on a wire pillow cover


CHALKBOARD/DRY ERASE - I'm seeing lots of "write on" objects. Like these chalkboard office accessories and dry erase bank from CB2 Anything from trash cans to pencil holders to piggy banks and even hanging light fixtures.....done right these could be pretty cool.




COVERED BOOKS - It seems like it might be a decorating "no-no" to actually see the binding of a book these days.  I certainly agree that an ugly book binding can throw off your whole design scheme, so why not cover it with something fun like scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, brown paper bags, newspaper or even fabric?  I've also seen books in a bookcase with pages facing out, love the look, but certainly not an easy task to find a book you want to read!  Check out Google for some covered book ideas that fit your design style.  Also love this idea that was recently posted by Paislee Press.




















PAINTED BRICK - In certain rooms, I love the look of white painted brick, like these guys over at Young House Love.

No comments: